UTVALDA BHAGAVAD GITA QUOTES (engelska)

Dela med dig av egen litteratur, musik och konst.

Moderator: Moderatorgruppen

Användarvisningsbild
LJUSUPPLEVELSE

UTVALDA BHAGAVAD GITA QUOTES (engelska)

Inläggav LJUSUPPLEVELSE » 07 feb 2011 13:37

“There is neither this world nor the world beyond nor happiness for the one who doubts.”

Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed.”

One who has control over the mind is tranquil in heat and cold, in pleasure and pain, and in honor and dishonor; and is ever steadfast with the Supreme Self.”

The wise sees knowledge and action as one; they see truly”

“The mind acts like an enemy for those who do not control it

Perform your obligatory duty, because action is indeed better than inaction

The disunited mind is far from wise; how can it meditate? How be at peace? When you know no peace, how can you know joy?”

The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

A person is said to have achieved yoga, the union with the Self, when the perfectly disciplined mind gets freedom from all desires, and becomes absorbed in the Self alone

Hell has three gates: lust, anger, and greed

“Those who eat too much or eat too little, who sleep too much or sleep too little, will not succeed in meditation. But those who are temperate in eating and sleeping, work and recreation, will come to the end of sorrow through meditation

“Fear not what is not real, never was and never will be. What is real, always was and cannot be destroyed

The faith of each is in accordance with one's own nature

Death is as sure for that which is born, as birth is for that which is dead. Therefore grieve not for what is inevitable

“Unnatural work produces too much stress

Much better to do one's own work even if you have to do it imperfectly than it is to do somebody elses work perfectly

“A Self-realized person does not depend on anybody [except God] for anything

Even as a tortoise draws in its limbs, the wise can draw in their senses at will

“For he who has no tranquility there is no concentration

When meditation is mastered, the mind is unwavering like the flame of a lamp in a windless place

There is neither Self-knowledge nor Self-perception to those whose senses are not under control. Without Self-perception there is no peace; and without peace there can be no happiness

Living in solitude, eating lightly, controlling the thought, word, and deed; ever absorbed in yoga of meditation, and taking refuge in detachment

Supreme bliss comes to a Self-realized yogi whose mind is tranquil, whose desires are under control, and who is free from sin.”

An intelligent person does not take part in the sources of misery, which are due to contact with material senses. Such pleasures have a beginning and an end, and so the wise man does not delight in them

Acquire this transcendental knowledge by humble reverence, by sincere inquiry, and by service

As a man can drink water from any side of a full tank, so the skilled theologian can wrest from any scripture that which will serve his purpose.”

And when immorality prevails, O Krishna, the women of the family become corrupted; when women are corrupted, social problems arise

“The desire for sensual pleasures fades away if one abstains from sense enjoyment, but the craving [for sense enjoyment] remains. The craving also disappears from the one who has seen [or known] the Supreme

Just as a fire is covered by smoke and a mirror is obscured by dust, just as the embryo rests deep within the womb, wisdom is hidden by selfish desire.”

This yoga is not possible, for the one who eats too much, or who does not eat at all; who sleeps too much, or who keeps awake

This yoga should be practiced with firm determination and perseverance, without any mental reservation or doubts

As the blazing fire reduces wood to ashes, similarly, the fire of Self-knowledge reduces all Karma to ashes

The person whose mind is always free from attachment, who has subdued the mind and senses, and who is free from desires, attains the supreme perfection of freedom from Karma through renunciation

The state of severance of union with sorrow is known by the name of yoga

“Endowed with purified intellect, subduing the mind with resolve, turning away from sound and other objects of the senses, giving up likes and dislikes

Karma does not bind one who has renounced work

“In Karma-yoga no effort is ever lost, and there is no harm. Even a little practice of this discipline protects one from great fear [of birth and death

A man who sees action in inaction and inaction in action has understanding among men and discipline in all action he performs

“One develops attachment to sense objects by thinking about sense objects. Desire for sense objects comes from attachment to sense objects, and anger comes from unfulfilled desires

The one who remains the same towards friend or foe, in honor or disgrace, in heat or cold, in pleasure or pain; who is free from attachment is dear to me

You alone know Yourself by Yourself

Action should culminate in wisdom

I am the goal, the supporter, the Lord, the witness, the abode, the refuge, the friend, the origin, the dissolution, the foundation, the substratum, and the imperishable seed

One attains peace in whose mind all desires enter without creating any disturbance, as river waters enter the full ocean without creating a disturbance. One who desires material objects is never peaceful

When you move amidst the world of sense, free from attachment and aversion alike, there comes the peace in which all sorrows end, and you life in the wisdom of the Self

“I am the fraud of the gambler; I am the splendor of the splendid; I am victory [of the victorious]; I am resolution [of the resolute]; I am the goodness of the good

They all attain perfection When they find joy in their work

The senses have been conditioned by attraction to the pleasant and aversion to the unpleasant: a man should not be ruled by them; they are obstacles in his path.”

“He who considers this [Self ] as a slayer or he who thinks that this [Self] is slain, neither of these knows the Truth. For it does not slay, nor is it slain

What is the need for this detailed knowledge, O Arjuna? I continually support the entire universe by a small fraction of My energy

You grieve for those who are not worthy of grief, and yet speak the words of wisdom. The wise grieve neither for the living nor for the dead.”

The contacts of the senses with the sense objects give rise to the feelings of heat and cold, and pain and pleasure. They are transitory and impermanent. Therefore, [learn to] endure them

“Renunciation of the fruit of work is better than meditation.”

Even without your participation all the warriors standing arrayed in the opposing armies shall cease to exist

“One attains the highest perfection by devotion to one's natural work. Listen to Me how one attains perfection while engaged in natural work

A person is known by the faith

All sorrows are destroyed upon attainment of tranquillity. The intellect of such a tranquil person soon becomes completely steady

Though they, blinded by greed, do not see evil in the destruction of the family, or sin in being treacherous to friends

Having abandoned attachment to the fruits of work, ever content, and dependent on no one [but God]; though engaged in activity, one does nothing at all.”

Those who are devoid of attachment, whose mind is fixed in knowledge, all deeds of such liberated persons dissolves away

The true nature of action is very difficult to understand. Therefore, one should know the nature of attached action, the nature of detached action, and also the nature of forbidden action

Detached action is unselfish work

Freed from attachment, fear, and anger; fully absorbed in Me, taking refuge in Me, and purified by the fire of Self-knowledge, many have attained Me.”

The knowledge sacrifice is superior to any material sacrifice

All actions in their entirety culminate in knowledge

Anyone free from the dualities, O Arjuna, one is easily liberated from bondage

Verily there is no purifier in this world like knowledge

The one who has faith, and is sincere, and has mastery over the senses, gains this knowledge. Having gained this, one at once attains the supreme peace

A person who has subdued the senses and completely renounced [the fruits of] all works, dwells happily and is neither performing nor directing action.”

“They, whose mind and intellect are absorbed in the Self, who remain firmly attached with the Self, who have Self as their supreme goal, whose sins have been destroyed by the knowledge …

Everything has been accomplished in this very life by those whose mind is set in equality

Pleasures derived from the contact of senses with their objects are verily the source of misery, and have a beginning and an end

“One who is able to withstand the impulse of lust and anger before death is a yogi, and a happy person

One who finds happiness with the Self, who rejoices the Self within, and who is illuminated by the Self-knowledge; such a yogi attains supreme nirvana

No one attains perfection by merely giving up work

I am the strength, that is devoid of lust and attachment, of the strong

“Practice to look upon all creatures as Myself in thought, word, and deed; and mentally bow down to them.”

One is considered the best yogi who regards every being like oneself, and who can feel the pain and pleasures of others as one's own

Sitting and concentrating the mind on a single object, controlling the thoughts and the activities of the senses, let the yogi practice meditation for self-purification

The mind alone is one's friend as well as one's enemy.”

Those who always practice this teaching of Mine, with faith and free from cavil, are freed

A Karma-yogi, abandoning the fruit of work, attains Supreme Bliss while others, who are attached to the fruits of work, become bound by selfish work.”
Let the yogi seated in solitude and alone having mind and senses under control and free from desires and attachments for possessions, try constantly to contemplate on the Supreme Self.”

Hold the waist, spine, chest, neck, and head erect, motionless and steady, fix the eyes and the mind steadily between the eye brows, and do not look around

“Four types of virtuous ones worship or seek Me, O Arjuna. They are: the distressed, the seeker of Self-knowledge, the seeker of wealth, and the wise one who knows the Supreme

By contemplating on Me with an unwavering mind, disciplined by the practice of meditation, one attains the Supreme divine spirit

A disciplined person, enjoying sense objects with senses that are under control and free from likes and dislikes, attains tranquillity

By devotion one truly understand what and who I am in essence. Having known Me in essence, one immediately merges into Me

The pleasure one enjoys from [spiritual] practice results in cessation of sorrow

This pleasure, appears as poison in the beginning but is like nectar in the end, comes by the grace of Self-knowledge

“Even these [obligatory] works should be performed without attachment to the fruits. This is My definite supreme advice, O Arjuna

The sun does not illumine there, nor the moon, nor the fire. That is My supreme abode. Having reached there they do not come back.”

“I am seated in the hearts of all beings

But, you are not able to see Me with your physical eye; therefore, I give you the divine eye to see My majestic power and glory

If the splendor of thousands of suns were to blaze forth all at once in the sky, even that would not resemble the splendor of that exalted being

Speech that is not offensive, truthful, pleasant, beneficial, and is used for the regular reading of scriptures is called the austerity of word

Bound by hundreds of ties of desire and enslaved by lust and anger; they strive to obtain wealth by unlawful means for the fulfillment of desires

I am delighted by beholding that which has never been seen before, and yet my mind is tormented with fear

Knowledge is better than mere ritualistic practice

“Neither do I see the beginning nor the middle nor the end of Your Universal Form.”

“I believe You are the imperishable, the Supreme to be realized. You are the ultimate resort of the universe

“The light of all lights, He is said to be beyond darkness

Some perceive God in the heart by the intellect through meditation

“As the all-pervading ether is not tainted because of its subtlety, similarly the Self, seated in everybody, is not tainted

“The one by whom others are not agitated, and who is not agitated by others; who is free from joy, envy, fear, and anxiety; is also dear to Me

One who neither hates the presence of enlightenment, activity, and delusion nor desires for them when they are absent

“I am the power of rulers, the statesmanship of the seekers of victory.”

“The Self is present equally in all beings.”

“Among the knowledge I am knowledge of the supreme Self. I am logic of the logician

“For that which is born death is certain, and for the dead birth is certain. Therefore grieve not over that which is unavoidable

Verily there is no purifier in this world like knowledge

“A person is said to have attained yogic perfection when there is no desire for sensual pleasures, or attachment to the fruits of work, and has renounced all personal selfish motives

Whatever action, whether right or wrong, one performs by thought, word, and deed; these are its five causes

This being the case; the ignorant person who considers oneself as the sole agent due to imperfect understanding does not understand

This (knowledge) should never be spoken by you to one who is devoid of austerity, who is without devotion, who does not desire to listen, or who speaks ill of Me

Because the mind, indeed, is very unsteady, turbulent, powerful, and obstinate, O Krishna. I think restraining the mind is as difficult as restraining the wind

All beings in this world are in utter ignorance due to the delusion of dualities born of likes and dislikes

matter and energy are different as well as non-different

A Self-realized person who is free from lust and anger, and who has subdued the mind and senses easily attains nirvana.”

The Supreme Lord said: I shall reveal to you, who do not disbelieve, the most profound secret of Self-knowledge and Self-realization. Having known this you will be freed from the miseries of worldly existence

Knowledge is better than mere ritualistic practice, meditation is better than mere knowledge, renunciation of the fruit of work is better than meditation, peace immediately follows the renunciation of (the attachment to) the fruit of work

Such a person has no interest, whatsoever, in what is done or what is not done. A Self-realized person does not depend on anybody (except God) for anything.”

“Humility, modesty, nonviolence, forbearance, honesty, service to guru, purity (of thought, word, and deed), steadfastness, self-control; and / Aversion towards sense objects, absence of ego, constant reflection on the agony and suffering inherent in birth, old age, disease, and death

Free from desires, mind and senses under control, renouncing all proprietorship, doing mere bodily action, one does not incur sin

The knowledge sacrifice is superior to any material sacrifice, O Arjuna. Because, all actions in their entirety culminate in knowledge

What is work and what is not work are questions that perplex the wisest of men

Governing sense, mind and intellect, intent on liberation, free from desire, fear and anger, the sage is forever free.”

här:http://thinkexist.com/quotes/bhagavad_gita/1.html

mvh
1965are...ikoniskt halvlärd kvasifilolog,metaretoriker,preprotoauktoritet, ärkehemipseudofilosof och megapsykodianoia.

Användarvisningsbild
LJUSUPPLEVELSE

Inläggav LJUSUPPLEVELSE » 16 feb 2011 11:02

Några BUDDHA quotes också...(favoriter)

All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become.”

Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger

You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.”

“Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace

To understand everything is to forgive everything

We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves

The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows

You cannot travel the path until you have become the path itself

An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea

When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

However many holy words you read,However many you speak,What good will they do you If you do not act on upon them?”

A jug fills drop by drop

The tongue like a sharp knife... Kills without drawing blood.”

Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely

There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills

The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart

Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little

Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity.”

The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed

The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly

Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it

Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace

He who loves 50 people has 50 woes; he who loves no one has no woes

To keep the body in good health is a duty...otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear

Hatred does not cease through hatred at any time. Hatred ceases through love. This is an unalterable law

Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill

In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed.”

If a man's mind becomes pure, his surroundings will also become pure

The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground.”

Nothing is permanent

Inward calm cannot be maintained unless physical strength is constantly and intelligently replenished

There is nothing so disobedient as an undisciplined mind, and there is nothing so obedient as a disciplined mind.”

If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change

Be vigilant; guard your mind against negative thoughts

“Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful

All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else

It is wrong to think that misfortunes come from the east or from the west; they originate within one's own mind. Therefore, it is foolish to guard against misfortunes from the external world and leave the inner mind uncontrolled

Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes.”

There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.”

Everything changes, nothing remains without change.”

An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind

Better the man that conquers a thousand thousand men is the one who conquers one, himself

“Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment

Follow then the shining ones, the wise, the awakened, the loving, for they know how to work and forbear

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned

“Anger will never disappear so long as thoughts of resentment are cherished in the mind. Anger will disappear just as soon as thoughts of resentment are forgotten

Beings are owners of their action, heirs of their action

It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell

All that we are is the result of what we have thought

The greatest gift is to give people your enlightenment, to share it. It has to be the greatest.”

As the Fletcher whittles and makes straight his arrows, so the master directs his straying thoughts

Decay is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence.”

Meditation brings wisdom; lack of mediation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what hold you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom.”

A good friend who points out mistakes and imperfections and rebukes evil is to be respected as if he reveals a secret of hidden treasure

On a long journey of human life, faith is the best of companions; it is the best refreshment on the journey; and it is the greatest property.”

A wise man, recognizing that the world is but an illusion, does not act as if it is real, so he escapes the suffering

Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship

Ennui has made more gamblers than avarice, more drunkards than thirst, and perhaps as many suicides as despair.”

Make a proper investigation first. Proper investigation is good for a well-known person like yourself.”

Of all the worldly passions, lust is the most intense. All other worldly passions seem to follow in its train

Keeping away from all evil deeds, cultivation of life by doing good deeds and purification of mind from mental impurities

“If you're respectful by habit,
constantly honoring the worthy,
four things increase:
long life, beauty,
happiness, strength

Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life

The greatest prayer is patience

Let the wise guard their thoughts, which are difficult to perceive, extremely subtle, and wander at will. Thought which is well guarded is the bearer of happiness

There is, Oh Monks, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. Monks, if that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded

The world, indeed, is like a dream and the treasures of the world are an alluring mirage! Like the apparent distances in a picture, things have no reality in themselves, but they are like heat haze

This life of separateness may be compared to a dream, a phantasm, a bubble, a shadow, a drop of dew, a flash of lightning

Those who by form did see me and those who followed me by voice. Wrong the efforts they engaged in, those people will not see me.”

To keep the body in good health is a duty, for otherwise we shall not be able to trim the lamp of wisdom, and keep our mind strong and clear.

Temperance is a tree which as for its root very little contentment, and for its fruit calm and peace

Our theories of the eternal are as valuable as are those which a chick which has not broken its way through its shell might form of the outside world

What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil

What is the appropriate behavior for a man or a woman in the midst of this world, where each person is clinging to his piece of debris? What's the proper salutation between people as they pass each other in this flood?”

This indeed is a safe refuge, it is the refuge supreme. It is the refuge whereby one is freed from all suffering

Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love

The virtues, like the Muses, are always seen in groups. A good principle was never found solitary in any breast

“Thirst for existence, O monks, has a specific condition, it is nourished by something, it also does not go without support. And what is that nourishment? It is ignorance

“I consider the positions of kings and rulers as that of dust motes. I observe treasures of gold and gems as so many bricks and pebbles. I look upon the finest silken robes as tattered rags. I see myriad worlds of the universe as small seeds of fruit, and the greatest lake on Earth as a drop of oil on my foot

When a man has pity on all living creatures then only is he noble

Being deeply learned and skilled, being well trained and using well spoken words; This is good luck

Meditate.
Live purely. Be quiet.
Do your work with mastery.
Like the moon, come out
from behind the clouds!
Shine”

Through zeal, knowledge is gotten; through lack of zeal, knowledge is lost; let a man who knows the double path of gain and loss thus place himself that knowledge may grow

Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most

You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.”

You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.”

In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves

A family is a place where minds come in contact with one another. If these minds love one another the home will be as beautiful as a flower garden. But if these minds get out of harmony with one another it is like a storm

http://www.edepot.com/dhamma4.html
1965are...ikoniskt halvlärd kvasifilolog,metaretoriker,preprotoauktoritet, ärkehemipseudofilosof och megapsykodianoia.

Återgå till "Galleri"