Lögnar-Greken

Om du har fastnat i dina filosofistudier, eller har glömt vem som sa vad. Kortare frågeställningar som inte avser vidare diskussion.

Moderator: Moderatorgruppen

Användarvisningsbild
archaxe

Lögnar-Greken

Inläggav archaxe » 11 maj 2005 15:57

I det antika grekland fanns det, enligt sägnen, en lirare som funderade så mycket över lögnarparadoxen så han till slut tog livet av sig, och på gravstenen stod det nått i stil med "Lögnaren knäckte honom". Min fråga är nu, vad hette denna grek?

Stefan

Inläggav Stefan » 11 maj 2005 17:04

http://www.iep.utm.edu/p/par-liar.htm

Lirarn hette uppenbarligen "Philetas från Cos". Lägg märke till Paulus anmärkning!

History of the Paradox and Possible Solutions

The Liar Paradox has been discussed continually in philosophy since the middle of the 4th century BCE. The most ancient attribution is to Eubulides of Miletus who included it among a list of seven puzzles. He said, "A man says that he is lying. Is what he says true or false?" Eubulides' commentary on his puzzle has not be found. An ancient gravestone on the Greek Island of Cos was reported by Athenaeus to contain this poem about the difficulty of solving the paradox:

O Stranger: Philetas of Cos am I,
'Twas the Liar who made me die,
And the bad nights caused thereby.

Theophrastus, Aristotle's successor, wrote three papyrus rolls about the Liar Paradox, and the Stoic philosopher Chrysippus wrote six, but their contents are lost in the sands of time. In the New Testament of the Bible, Saint Paul warned, "One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said the Cretans are always liars." Paul, however, gave no indication he recognized anything paradoxical about the Cretan's remark, but it would be paradoxical if no other Cretan utters a truth and if 'liar' means utterer only of falsehoods.

Användarvisningsbild
Knutenborg

Inläggav Knutenborg » 12 maj 2005 09:46

mind blowing

Återgå till "Hjälp!"